on Thursday, March 03, 2005


Jellystone NP

as I mentioned in my last post, this summer I'm set to work with A Christian Ministry in the National Parks in Yellowstone.

I found out about ACMNP through my good buddy, Matt Farrelly. he worked in Yellowstone last summer, and I was intruiged by his stories and pictures. ACMNP promotes ministry through two ways. formally, the ministry leads worship services every Sunday in various areas of each of the parks (they are operating in nearly 40 different National Parks). they also encourage and help believers in informal minstry, or just sharing the Gospel to the people you encounter through everyday life. if you're interested in outdoor ministry for this summer, check them out. I think they take applications through April.

climbing dreams:
so I've decided I want to climb Gannett Peak in Wyoming. it's the highest point in WY (not the Grand Teton, as many think) and pretty much all of the stuff I've read about it--most people say its best climb in the lower 48.

I found it when I was reading an article in Backpacker Magazine (only the most awesome magazine ever...well, second to National Geographic.) about America's 50 Highpoints. the 50 Highpoints are the highest peaks for each state. for a lot of backpackers/climbers, to summit all 50 peaks is a really big deal. personally, I probably rather not "climb" to the highest point in Delaware (elev: 448') or Rhode Island (elev: 812')...

anyways, Gannett looks pretty awesome (SummitPost.org's review here; Rex Headd's day-by-day log w/ pics here). it's in the Wind River Range, about 70 miles on the road Southwest of Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks. it's the most remote of the 50 Highpoints (a 40-mile backcountry hike and climb) and rated second hardest (behind Denali in Alaska). apparently the scenery on the way is sublime.

Bonney pass:

and here's a panorama from the peak.

(click to view full-size)


..but, I may not be able to do the climb. unfortunately, I don't own stuff that would be needed for the more technical sections, like crampons, climbing harness, rope, etc... but I'll try to work that out somehow. plus, it's like a 40+ mile hike, and I dunno if I'll be able to take that much time off of work.

even if I can't make all the way to the top of Gannett, I at least want to hike into that Wind River Range and spend some time photographing the scenery. it sounds like an amazing place, and the pictures look amazing. here's a sample from Rex's website...
Photographer's Point, Wind River Range:

the Titcomb Basin:

(click to view full-size)


to quote Rex's post hike revelation:
"We made it back to Pinedale and I got a double cheeseburger at the Wrangler Cafe. While enjoying a cold beverage and a hot meal, we both realized, we would trade it all in a heartbeat to be eating Clif Bars and oatmeal under the granite towers of Titcomb Basin. The pull of the Winds is stronger than ever, we will be returning again and again. We traveled into the heart of the Winds and fell in love with what we discovered there, as well as what we discovered within ourselves. There aren't many places left in the lower 48 that can make you feel like that, but this Wyoming cowboy is happy to know, the Wind Rivers still have that ability."
sounds pretty awesome to me.

posted by Unknown @ 3:23 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home