on Wednesday, December 10, 2003


in response to Joel's comment:
deboxering will now commence

listening to::
SevStatik_SpeakLife

lyrics for the night::
from "Alternative, Baby" by Reel Big Fish:
    "...but i don't wanna talk to you,
    cause i know i'd just say something stupid
    and i know you've got better things to do

    hey, little alternative girl,
    don't you wanna be my friend?
    you know i'm singin' all my songs to you
    it's all right if you don't understand"


i don't know why::
Okay, so my dad just called to brag. First thing he says is, "Well, I'm here going through the drive thru at Rosa's....oh wait, you probably didn't want to hear that...har har har"
ARGH! For those of you that don't know, Rosa's Cafe is my 2nd favorite restaurant in the world. They have great Mexican food and it's fast. Anytime I'm in town, I eat there and Taco Villa about every 2 out of 3 meals.

Anyways, so then he tells me, "Welp, I bought a computer last night."
I flip out. "What? Are you serious?" I ask. He's got to be kidding me. There is no one that is more reserved with computers than my dad. For about the last 7 years we've had a crappy 90MHz Pentium 1 with less than a 1gigabyte hard drive.
He replies calmly, "Yeah. After you messed up our old one--"
I recoil. "After I messed it up?"
"Yeah, Sharon said you downloaded some stuff that made it run real slow..."
Oh man...
Knowing that the only thing that I have taken the chances of installing on that "hanging-onto-the-last-thread-of-life" computer is the google toolbar, and knowing that it was only like a 400kb program (thus, completely inconsequential), I reply "umm...I didn't install anything."
He is undeterred: "Well, it doesn't matter anyways, Sharon tried to uninstall the programs that she thought you installed, and the computer won't turn on now."
I laugh to myself.

At this point, I'm becoming a little worried. When I was home over Thanksgiving break, he showed me some flier that had been faxed to his company. It was selling some rebuilt 700MHz computers with 64MB of RAM and 10GB hard drives...all of them over waaay priced. I had told him not to buy into the junk they were selling, but he told me he got these fliers all the time, and that some of the guys at work had bought them and were satisfied with them. I informed him that he could get a way the heck better deal from the internet and that I would help him look for one if he ever wanted me to. So, when he told me he had just bought a computer, I feared that he had fallen into this marketing trap.

I quickly found that my fears were unfounded.

"What kind of computer did you get?" I wonder aloud.
"It's a HP. We went to Best Buy and talked to a guy there. They were closing, but the guy said he would stay and help us."
"Yeah, you'll have that with salesmen...they wanna sell you stuff.  It's like their job."
"Well, yeah... Anyways, I had kind of already picked one out from looking there before, but it turned out the one I wanted was a closeout and they didn't have any left other than the display model, so we picked out a little better one. And then we realized it didn't have a DVD burner, so he started trying to talk us into one on the other side of the isle...finally we just gave in and I said, 'Whatever.  We'll take that one.'"
  Throughout this entire account, a smile is growing on my face.  Now I can see that he probably ended up with a pretty sweet setup.

"Do you know how much memory it has?" I ask, knowing he probably won't know exact details.
"umm...I think it's got a 180 gigabyte hard drive"
"For real? Are you sure?"
"Yeah, I remember that."
"Holy crap!  That's like 6 times as much storage space as my computer!" I was actually wondering how much RAM it had, but I figure it's better not to confuse him. "What about the processor?"
"It's a Pentium 4...su'um like 2.8 giga hurts."
"Oh, sweet action!"
"Yeah, and it's got something called like...highway technology?  Do you know what that is?"
"Hyper-threading technology???"

"Oh yeah, that's it."
"Oh man, oh man.  That's so awesome."
"...sure.  Anyway, Sharon insisted on picking out a flat-screen liquid crystal LCD thing for the monitor, and i when she wasn't looking i picked out a scanner/copier/faxer/photo printer..."

..............umm..okay, after typing up all of this i've decided to not finish what i was going to say because i realized that it's probably not interesting for ya'll to read, nor is it as funny to you as it was to me when it was taking place.  i guess the reasons it was funny to me were:
    1) my dad buys a computer.  completely out of the blue.  that's weird.
    2) he bought a totally awesome computer.  completely out of the blue.  that's weird.
    3) all of the features that i thought were totally awesome, he just sort of was like "meh...sure."  i mean, like i could almost hear an audible shrug of "unknowing apathy" or something.

right.  so...umm...

i apologize for the length and ridiculousness of this post.  i also apologize for the two posts about going to find Joel in the Gee.  they were quite a bit more ridiculous than even this one.  and now, i sleep.  i have more things to say, but i will abstain for now...mostly because i'm sleeping and hall prayer meeting starts in a few minutes.


posted by Unknown @ 11:13 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home